Listen to McNary Music


Monday, March 8, 2010

Taking A Moment to Bitch
I get frustrated sometimes with the lack of planning, focus, and business acumen that the average person in the music business possesses.

There is a pervasive apathy among many of the musicians, producers, and club owners I meet…..People seem to think that greatness is achieved by hanging out, smoking weed, and getting around to making music, scheduling shows, guerrilla marketing, and orchestrating recording sessions only when the wind tickles that hair on their ass and they decide to get up and do something productive. They say things like, “Don’t worry bro…things will happen when they are meant to” or “I’m just waiting to get my break” or “The chips just haven’t fallen for me yet”. That is a load of horse shit. Success is man made not divine. Don’t point to Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake and claim they had it easy. Give me a break....those kids were busting their tail since early childhood building their business and honing theirs skills.

Lucky Breaks may determine how quickly one rises but it DOES NOT DETERMINE the ultimate height of their climb. Just ask Dave Matthews , Butch Walker, Zack Brown, or Kings of Leon or any of the other household names that spent years building their business….

NEWS FLASH!!!! >>>
People become successful by honing their craft, having intangibles that people are drawn too, and BUSTING THEIR TAILS on the business end cause they have fire in their belly and want more than anything else to make a living playing music. They learn how to treat the music business as the business that it is and they learn how to pick people who feel the same way and demonstrate that through their actions. I’ve been around too long to work with musicians who don’t show up, don’t call me back, or are too unmotivated to rehearse. There are hard workers in this business defeating people whose talent rivals the greats every day….Have you ever listened to Corey Smith, the country leaning musician from Athens who caters to southern college & blue collar audiences??? Take a listen and try to convince me that his music is original or compelling…seriously. But that guy is pulling in upwards of 500K/year playing music because he works hard and has learned how to promote himself and manage the marketing end of his career.

The longer I’m involved in the music business, the less time I have for crap, and the quicker I smell an apathetic or sheisty musician/music businessperson right off the bat. I’ve got news for you lazy pieces…..Keep on moving on. I don’t have time for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment